Thursday, April 11, 2013

Gardening in the suburbs

This morning was my turn to water the entire front garden from the rain barrel. We have two watering cans for it but its still quite the job. It does however give you the chance to look at everything growing. I'm beyond excited that 2 out of the 3 hydrangeas are in the ground and ready to take off. Chris cut the blooms off ( I was appalled) but he had real reasoning for it so I forgive him....today.
Front yard starter
I really need to start taking more pictures. I just never break out the "real" camera enough to learn what I am doing. That needs to change since Baby G will be making his/her grand arrival in September. In this picture we have broccoli, red cabbage, a tomato plant and then just flowers with ground cover filling in the spaces. Since we are using the most of the sunlight in our front yard, we wanted to still make it look tasteful. With every vegetable we lay, we lay down flowers too to grow around and make it look really nice. The red cabbage is beautiful. So are the broccoli but I just cant stop looking at the red cabbage where it lays with the ground cover.
We have a walkway for the driveway on the other side BLOOMING with bulbs we put down. so far nothing flowered but they are so tall and really made us re-think how we did the spacing. You have to be incredibly balanced and stay on the walkway to prevent yourself from hitting any of them.
I have the entire day sunday off so if it is not raining it'll be the perfect morning for a bagel and an hour of garden photography time. I'm incredibly excited to show of the seedlings that husband started. I can't really say I did much of any of this. I just picked out what I would like to see growing and where i thought it would be pleasing to the eye. Chris laid everything down and has been nursing the seedlings to life while i just have water duty on days I leave a tiny bit later than him.
Our newest trick has been creating your own pots that are biodegradable. Why throw away those toilet paper or paper towel rolls when they are empty? Just cut them up and fill them with dirt- voila! perfect for seedlings!
 Soon I will have much more time for recreational writing, but for now, its off to research writing instead.
-M 

No comments:

Post a Comment